Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Concert at Lakeview













Our elementary school is celebrating its' 50th birthday this year so there have been lots of neat little celebrations throughout the year. Last Thursday was Lakeview's 50th anniversary Spring Concert. Both girls sang with the choir, sang with their grade levels and Sara was one of three MC's. They both did a fantastic job! We have an amazing music teacher. She incorporated all the Orff instruments in all grade levels. There was drumming, recorders, xylophones and lots of extraneous percussion instruments like triangles, wooden blocks, a rainstick and chimes. There is also a handbell choir which Sara is a part of. A few days before the concert, the girl that plays C6 and D6 in the handbell choir was given a surprise trip to Disneyland from her grandparents. Sara's conductor called me and asked if I could read music. I said yes. She asked me if I would fill in on handbells because the concert was only 5 days away and she was now short a player. I said sure but that I had never touched a handbell in my life. She gave me a crash course and I got to see if I was smarter than a 5th grader! I'm not, but here's one of the two songs we did. Sara is right beside me and on her left is her cousin Dean. It was so much fun to do that with Sara!

6 comments:

  1. i had to ask the boys what Orff instruments were. I am definitely not as smart as a 5th grader, either. Nice job on the video addition. You must teach me. It sure was a fun concert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the handbell choir is beautiful! Sounds like an amazing concert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of the video ;) great job, and it was a fun concert! This morning was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job and yah for getting a video on the blog, I knew you could do it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karri,
    That was wonderful.!! It felt like the music of angels. It was so soothing...I really enjoyed it. I'd like to get it on CD for grandma. Heather got her a beautiful peace of music on CD and she loves it. But I know she would love this. Good for you Karri...you are a fast learner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just came across this blog of one of my favourite families ever. I am now a follower! Hope that is OK. Great job to you, Sara, and Dean on the handbells. I am only sad I hadn't found this sooner!!

    ReplyDelete